Moving from Dublin to the Alps

Whether you love skiing, hiking or just enjoying the view, for many, living in the Alps would be a dream come true. As well as being a beautiful location the Alps region gives you access to many countries.

Their range covers France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein. If you are thinking of an Alpine adventure you will need to consider which country would suit you best.

The most popular regions are the Swiss, French and Italian Alps, so we will focus on these three countries.


Where to live

One of the most popular Swiss towns is Lucerne on the shore of the lake of the same name in Central Switzerland. Zermatt in the south, below the famous Matterhorn Mountain is also a popular choice.

In Italy, the historic town of Aosta, with its famous Gran Paradiso National Park offers good access to the north of the country. The French Alps are also popular with main towns including Chambéry in the Rhone-Alps region, which is a major railway centre, connecting France and Italy.



As an EU citizen you would be able to work and travel there without requiring a visa or work permit. This also applies to Switzerland and Liechtenstein even although they are not part of the EU.

The key industry in the Alps Is of course tourism . Opportunities range from specialist snow sports instructors to a whole variety of jobs in the hospitality and tourism industry. Other possibilities for English speakers could include teaching English at a language school or perhaps private tutoring.


Of course today with more and more people working remotely you might even be able to take your work with you.



The cost of living varies from country to country. You will get more for your euro in France or Italy than in Switzerland. In both France and Italy you will find that groceries cost more but this is offset by the cost of renting accommodation which is usually a lot cheaper.


In Switzerland the cost of living is considerably higher than Ireland. Depending on your work, however your salary might also be higher if you are working for a local employer. The official currency is the Swiss franc although Euros are also accepted especially in more cosmopolitan areas,


Getting around 

All three countries have excellent railway networks. If you are driving your license will be valid for the first year. But if you are planning on staying for longer, you will need to apply for a local licence within the first year. Additionally if you are driving in Switzerland you will need to apply for a vignette which is a permit that allows you to drive on motorways. Currently it costs around 40 Euros.

So if your love for the mountains is calling and you are thinking of moving to the Alps there are plenty of options and you can be sure you will find the right place for you.


If you need a moving company to facilitate your removal to Switzerland, don’t hesitate to contact Get Cracking today.